Five, four, three, two, one…Happy New Year!!! Even though we are a few weeks away from 2018, some of us have been attending holiday parties and celebrations since Thanksgiving. With the whirlwind of upcoming events before 2018, I want to offer a few tips so that we can be healthy as we enter another year.
- Set up a pregame program: I know that the traditional pregame is drinking alcohol before attending an event but let us switch it up and eat before we leave the house. Consider having a small salad and protein like grilled fish or chicken.
- Hydrate properly: Increase your intake of water before you get the celebration. Start to take half your body weight and put ounces as the unit. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds you should drink at least 75 ounces throughout the day. Drink at least 10 to 20 ounces before you head out to the party.
- Portion control: Monitor your intake of butter and cheese to decrease your risk of developing increased cholesterol. If you decide to have macaroni and cheese, opt for a smaller portion and avoid seconds if possible.
- Dance like no one is watching: Turn up the music and hit the dance floor for at least 30 to 45 minutes. Set up a new tradition of having a dance competition with the family.
- Drink alcohol in moderation: You might what to be the life of the party but be memorable for being you and not for having too much to drink. For every alcoholic beverage that you have try to have one glass of water or seltzer water.
- Have your cake and eat it too: Try something different and sample different deserts with tasting smaller portions. If possible split your portions with a friend. Fruit for desert is always a healthier choice.
Step into 2018 as a healthier version of you!!